Dr. Gomberg practices orthopedic surgery, a position he has held since 2001. He is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Fellow of the American Academy of Hip & Knee Surgeons, and member of European Knee Associates . Dr. Gomberg is the Director of the prestigious Maine Orthopaedic Review and practices at Mercy Hospital in Portland, ME. His specialties include knee and hip replacement, partial knee replacement, knee arthroscopy, and fracture surgery. Dr. Gomberg earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Delaware and a master’s degree from New Mexico State University. He spent several years in research and design in the aerospace industry, most notably at Lockheed’s Skunkworks. From there, he earned an MD from the University of Pittsburgh, orthopaedic surgery residency at West Virginia University Hospitals and master’s fellowship at Bronx Lebanon Hospital in New York.
Dr. Gomberg is Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Learn More.
Why choose Dr. Gomberg?
- Dr. Gomberg helps patients postpone or avoid surgery and only recommends it as a last resort because treating patients this way results in the best surgical outcomes.
- Dr. Gomberg’s surgical outcomes are in the top tier as validated by independent benchmarking companies. Patients under his care have lower rates of serious complications. See details at https://projects.propublica.org/surgeons/surgeons/1205802683
- Dr. Gomberg performed more partial knee replacements that anyone north of Boston, and this experience translates to better outcomes. He was the first surgeon in New Hampshire to perform custom knee replacements.
- Dr. Gomberg takes a personalized approach, spending time with each patient and looking at the whole person when helping make medical decisions.
- Dr. Gomberg has Fellowship training in surgical efficiency in joint replacement.
- Dr. Gomberg is the Director of the Maine Orthopaedic Review, the nation’s longest running orthopaedic review course, taken by one third of all practicing orthopaedic surgeons in the USA.
- Dr. Gomberg speaks at national and international conferences on surgical efficiency and knee surgery outcomes.